Public Consultation for Stage 2 has now closed. The Planning Department has 12 weeks from the close of public consultation to prepare the Chief Executive’s Report on the submissions received. Submissions have been uploaded to our consultation portal and can be viewed here.
Stage 1 Pre Draft has been completed. Click here to view details
Stage 2 Draft Laois County Development Plan 2021 – 2027
Public Consultation has now closed. Submissions have been uploaded to our consultation portal and can be viewed here. The Planning Department has 12 weeks from the close of public consultation on 23rd March 2021 to prepare the Chief Executive’s Report on the submissions received.
2nd STAGE CHIEF EXECUTIVE’S REPORT
The Forward Planning team prepared Chief Executive’s Report which summarised all submissions received followed by a response and policy recommendation to the issues raised on the 2nd Stage of Public Consultation held from 12th January 2021 to 23rd March 2021. The CE Report was circulated to the Laois County Council Members on 22nd June 2021 for their consideration. The CE Report is also accompanied by the following appendices:
- Appendix B – Infrastructure Assessment
- Appendix C – Laois Housing Strategy
- Appendix D – Strategic Flood Risk Assessment
- Appendix E – Maps and Settlement Plans
- Volume 2 Settlement Plan Amendments
- Map 2.2 – Portlaoise
- Map 2.10 – Portlaoise
- Map 3.2 – Mountmellick
- Map 3.10 – Mountmellick
- Map 4.2 [A] – Abbeyleix
- Map 4.2 [B] – Abbeyleix
- Map 4.3 [A] – Mountrath
- Map 4.4 [A] – Stradbally
- Map 5.1 [A] – Rathdowney
- Map 5.2 [A] – Durrow
- Map 5.3 [A] – Ballylynan
- Map 6.1 [A] – Clonaslee
- Map 6.2 [A] – Ballyroan
- Map 6.3 [A] – Borris In Ossory
- Map 7.1 [A] – Ballybrittas
- Map 7.2 [A] – Ballinakill
- Map 7.3 [B] – Clough
- Map 7.5 [A] – Killeen
- Map 7.6 [A] – Killeshin
- Map 8.3 [A] – Camross
- Map 8.4 [A] – Castletown
- Map 8.5 [B] – Coolrain
- Map 8.7 [A] – Emo
- Map 8.7 [B] – Emo
- Map 8.9 [A] – Rosenallis
- Map 8.11 [A] – Timahoe
- Volume 2 Settlement Plan Amendments
This report summarises the following and includes the Chief Executive’s Opinion and Recommendation on each issue:
- The main issues raised by the Office of the Planning Regulator;
- The main issues raised by the Eastern and Midland Regional Assembly (EMRA); and
- The main issues raised by statutory consultees, members of the public and interest groups by Chapter (as indicated in the Draft Plan).
The elected members of the Planning Authority have a period of twelve (12) weeks to consider this Draft Plan and the Chief Executive report, within which time the Draft Plan must be adopted or amended by resolution of the Council.
In accordance with Section 12(1)(b) of the Planning and Development Act 2000 (as amended), Laois County Council has prepared the Draft Laois County Development Plan 2021 – 2027 which was be on public display from 12th January 2021 to 23rd March 2021, at the following locations:
- Consult Laois online consultation portal
- Planning Office, Laois County Council, Aras an Chontae, JFL Avenue, Portlaoise, Co.Laois (by appointment only during normal opening hours as per Covid-19 Guidelines)
- All branch Libraries in the County during normal opening hours and subject to Covid -19 restrictions in place at the time.
The Draft Plan is accompanied by a Strategic Environmental Report prepared in accordance with the Planning & Development (Strategic Environmental Assessment) Regulations 2004 and an Appropriate Assessment, pursuant to Article 6 (3) and Article 4 of the Habitats Directive 92/43/EEC. The Draft Plan contains a settlement strategy which includes zoning maps for Portlaoise and Mountmellick also.
Lobbying is an essential part of the democratic process. It enables or facilitates citizens and organisations to make their views on public policy and public services such as land-use zoning known to politicians and public servants (designated Public Officials). If you are involved in lobbying, you may need to:
- Register on the Register of Lobbying website which is maintained by Standards Commission: www.lobbying.ie
- Provide information to the Standards Commission about your lobbying activities three times a year.
Please visit www.lobbying.ie for more information.
What is in the Draft Laois County Development Plan 2021 – 2027?
Watch the short video below to find out what is in the Draft Plan
Have Your Say…
Observations or submissions regarding the Draft Plan and Environmental Reports were invited from members of the public and other interested parties. Children, or groups or associations representing the interests of children, are invited also to make submissions or observations.
An observation or submission could be made via the following options only;
- Online here by registering on https://consult.laois.ie/where you can then make a submission on the draft chapters, appendix, environmental reports and maps.
- Via email to email@example.com; or
- In writing marked “Draft Laois County Development Plan 2021 – 2027 “to the Senior Planner, Planning Department, Laois County Council, Aras an Chontae, JFL Avenue, Portlaoise, Co Laois.
Please note that all submissions are made available for public viewing on Laois Consult during the plan-making period. Laois County Council will treat all personal data you may give as confidential. Laois County Council will retain your data for no longer than is necessary for the purpose of this County Development Plan and in accordance with the relevant Data Protection legislation.
Public Consultation Webinars
The Planning Department held a series of public webinars throughout the public consultation period in lieu of community meetings due to the COVID-19 restrictions. Each webinar focused on a different topic related to the Draft Plan as detailed below. Click on the links below to view the presentations for each webinar.
|Population and Where We Live||Job Creation in the County – The Economic Priorities|
|Enabling and Servicing Development||Cultural, Built and Natural Heritage in County Laois|
The Forward Planning Team continue to be available for phone queries in relation to the Draft Laois County Development Plan 2021-2027, during normal opening hours, and are contactable on 057 8664122. Alternatively, general queries in relation to the Draft Plan can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org