Stage Two – Draft Laois County Development Plan 2021 – 2027
Notice of the Preparation of the Draft Laois County Development Plan 2021 – 2027
In accordance with Section 12(1)(b) of the Planning and Development Act 2000 (as amended), Laois County Council has prepared the Draft Laois County Development Plan 2021 – 2027 which will be on public display from 12th January 2021 to 23rd March 2021.
The Draft Plan is accompanied by a Strategic Environmental Report prepared in accordance with the Planning & Development (Strategic Environmental Assessment) Regulations 2004 and an Appropriate Assessment, pursuant to Article 6 (3) and Article 4 of the Habitats Directive 92/43/EEC. The Draft Plan also contains a settlement strategy which includes zoning maps for Portlaoise and Mountmellick also.
The Draft Plan, the Strategic Environmental Assessment Report, the Appropriate Assessment Report and the Strategic Flood Risk Assessment, will be on public display and available for public inspection from 12th January 2021 to 23rd March 2021 (both dates inclusive) at the following locations:
- Planning Office, Laois County Council, Aras an Chontae, JFL Avenue, Portlaoise, Co.Laois (by appointment only during normal opening hours as per Covid-19 Guidelines)
- All branch Libraries in the County during normal opening hours and subject to Covid -19 restrictions in place at the time.
Have Your Say…
Observations or submissions regarding the Draft Plan and Environmental Reports are invited from members of the public and other interested parties. Children, or groups or associations representing the interests of children, are invited also to make submissions or observations.
You can make an observation or submission via the following options only;
- Online here by registering on https://consult.laois.ie/where you can then make a submission on the draft chapters, appendix, environmental reports and maps.
- Via email to email@example.com; or
- In writing marked “Draft Laois County Development Plan 2021 – 2027 “to the Senior Planner, Planning Department, Laois County Council, Aras an Chontae, JFL Avenue, Portlaoise, Co Laois.
Observations or submissions must include the full name and address of the person(s) making the submission and where relevant, the body or organisation represented.
Only written submissions or observations to the Draft Plan and accompanying documents made to the planning authority within the stated period will be taken into consideration. Please make your submission or observation by one medium only i.e. in hard copy or online.
All submissions and observations must be received before 5pm 23rd March 2021. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Please note that all submissions will be made available for public viewing on the Council’s consultation website during the plan-making period. Laois County Council will treat all personal data you may give as confidential. Laois County Council will retain your data for no longer than is necessary for the purpose of this County Development Plan and in accordance with the relevant Data Protection legislation.
Virtual Community Information Sessions
It is intended to hold a number of public webinars throughout the public consultation period due to the COVID-19 restrictions, full details of which will be posted here on the Council’s consultation portal and website respectively at https://consult.Loais.ie and www.laois.ie/planning and also in the local press in due course. Registration for these events will be required.
The Forward Planning Team continue to be available for phone queries in relation to the Draft Laois County Development Plan 2021-2027, during normal opening hours, and are contactable on 057 8664122. Alternatively, general queries in relation to the Draft Plan can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Stage One Pre Draft
In collaboration with the community, Laois County Council is starting the review of the Laois County Development Plan which began on 6th January 2020 and the process will take 2 years to complete as detailed below. The Laois County Development Plan 2021 – 2027 will set out a vision for County Laois for 2021 and beyond. We have commenced Stage One of Plan review process which shall run from 6th January until 29th June 2020.
PUBLIC CONSULTATION – (Please note the public consultation phase has now closed)
An Issues Paper has been prepared and presents an overview of the main development issues currently affecting County Laois and identifies the kind of planning matters that the next Plan could address. A copy of the Issues Paper can be downloaded here. As part of Stage One, a series of public consultation meetings were held at the following venues:
- January 14th: Heritage House, Abbeyleix at 6pm to 8pm
- January 16th: Heritage Centre, Clonaslee at 7pm – 9pm
- January 21st: Community Centre, Killeshin at 6pm – 8pm
- Febuary 24th: Rathdowney Library, Rathdowney at 2.30pm – 3.30pm
- February 25th: Portarlington Library, Portarlington at 2.30pm – 3.30pm
Have Your Say
If you are interested in the planning and development of the County and wish to make a contribution to the shaping of its future, submissions can be made in writing to Forward Planning Team, Planning Department, Laois County Council, Aras an Chontae, Fintan Lawler Avenuve, Portlaoise, Co Laois or send us an email to email@example.com. Submissions may be made during the period from Monday 6th January 2020 until Monday 2nd March 2020 by 4pm.
Please make your submission or observation by one medium only i.e. in hard copy or by email. This will avoid the duplication of submission reference numbers and will streamline the process. All submissions should be clearly marked “Review of County Development Plan”. In respect of making a submission or observation please note the following:
- Submissions should relate to the proper planning and sustainable development of Co. Laois.
- Children or groups or associations representing the interests of children, are entitled to make submissions or observations regarding the objectives and policies to deliver an overall strategy for the proper planning and sustainable development of the area of the CDP.
- The Planning Authority intends to review the zoning of the area of the CDP for the purposes of developing objectives and policies to deliver an overall strategy for the proper planning and sustainable development of the area of the development plan and core strategy. However, requests or proposals for the zoning of particular land for any purpose shall not be considered at this stage. (Any such submissions will be returned).
- If you consider that you have a disability, please give details of any special requirements for public consultation purposes that you may have in order that appropriate arrangements can be made if necessary.
- All submissions must include your name and a contact address, a map (where appropriate) and, where relevant, details of any organisation, community group or company etc, which you represent.
Closing date for submissions is Monday March 2nd 2020, at 4.00 p.m. Late submissions will not be accepted.
62 Submissions received by the Planning Authority are published on Laois County Council website at www.laois.ie/planning, along with your name/organisation in accordance with the Planning & Development (Amendment) Act 2018.
CHIEF EXECUTIVE’S REPORT AND DIRECTION FROM ELECTED MEMBERS
The Forward Planning team prepared Chief Executive’s Report which summarised all submissions received followed by a response and policy recommendation to the issues raised. The CE Report was considered by Laois County Council Members on Monday 29th of June at the June Council Meeting. The Members issued directions to the executive regarding the preparation of the Draft County Development Plan. The Forward Planning Team have begun preparing a Draft Plan as of 29th June for consideration by our Councillors at the October or November Council Meeting. Stage 2 Draft County Development Plan of the review process will then begin where you will have another opportunity to get involved during the next round of public consultation.