The Laois Heritage Officer is responsible for conservation, promoting awareness and collecting data on the built, natural and cultural heritage of Laois. The guiding strategy for the work of the Heritage Office is the Laois Heritage and Biodiversity Strategy 2021 – 2026.
Heritage Projects 2022
All plans for the year are detailed in our Annual Action Plan 2022 (Download pdf). Details will be updated here through the year as projects start and finish.
- Laois Wetland Survey
- Work with communities in Clopook, Dysart Gallen and Kilmanman on the Conservation and Pollination project
- Promote Heritage Council’s Heritage Maps system
- Open Old St Peter’s Graveyard Portlaoise to the public
- Install interpretation of Fort Protector Portlaoise
- Conservation works at Donaghmore Workhouse
- Manage landscape and LCC Owned buildings at Timahoe Monastic Site
- Public realm and biodiversity enhancement in Stradbally
- Laois Biodiversity Week, May 2022
- Laois Heritage Week, August 2022
- “In Your Nature Podcast” in partnership with BirdWatch Ireland and Offaly County Council
- Deliver on the local aims of the National Biodiversity Action Plan (NBAP)
- Collaborate with Culture Team to deliver on the aims of Creative Ireland in Laois
- Collaborate with the Climate Action Team to deliver on the aims of the Laois Climate Action Plan
- Publish the Guide book to the Rock of Dunamase
- Work with Col Fitzmaurice Commemoration Committee to organise Laois Festival of Flight April 2022
- Manage the Community Monuments Fund in Laois
We aim to promote pride in the heritage of Laois, and to increase awareness, appreciation and enjoyment of all aspects of the County’s heritage. Click on the links below for details of plans, programmes and projects in support of this aim.
- Climate Change and Heritage
- Conservation projects
- Cultural Heritage
- Exploring Laois
- Funding for Heritage Projects
- History of Laois
- Laois Heritage Plans
- News and Events
So what does a Heritage Officer do anyway?
Click here to download information on the Heritage Officers of Ireland.