Laois Heritage Office aims to bring Heritage to the heart of life in Laois.
We aim to promote pride in the heritage of Laois, and to increase awareness, appreciation and enjoyment of all aspects of the County’s heritage.
This is achieved through the Laois Heritage Plan, and includes:
- Undertaking surveys, research and conservation projects under the Laois Heritage Plan;
- Carrying out practical conservation projects at sites including
- Fitzmaurice Place & Fort Protector Project (2018 Historic Towns Initiative Project and 2019 Urban Regeneration and Development Fund Project)
- Killabban Medieval Church
- Old St Peter’ Graveyard, Portlaoise
- Ballyroan School House
- Donaghmore Workhouse
- Timahoe Monastic Site and Round Tower
- Helping communities and individuals to plan and carry out heritage projects based around their own local areas;
- Raising awareness of the heritage of the County, through
Karen Dempsey leads a tour of Lea Castle during Heritage Week. Picture: Alf Harvey
- Funding for Heritage Projects
- Exploring Laois
- Cultural Heritage
- Laois Heritage Plans
- Laois Heritage Trail
- History of Laois
- Ireland 2016
So what does a Heritage Officer do anyway?
Click here to download information on the Heritage Officers of Ireland.