Laois County Council Headquarters
Laois County Council have implemented the following measures:
- With effect from Thursday 7th January 2021, access to all Laois County Council offices by members of the public is strictly by appointment only, until further notice.
- Phone lines will be manned during normal working hours, Monday to Friday at 057 8664000.
- Queries can be submitted via the online request form at https://laois.ie/contact-us/get-in-touch/ or by email at email@example.com
- Postal queries can be sent to Laois County Council, Áras an Chontae, Portlaoise, Co. Laois and marked for the relevant section.
- A Community Support Helpline is in operation by Laois County Council to assist at risk members of the public in accessing non-emergency and non-medical supports and advice during the current public health emergency. Please click here for information.
- General information on Council services can be accessed online on www.laois.ie and the Council is asking members of the public to avail of these services where possible.
Laois County Council’s response will continue to be informed by advice from the HSE and relevant Public Health Authorities.
Motor Tax /Cash Office Opening Hours
The Motor Tax and Payments Office Public Counters will close Wednesday the 23rd of December at 1pm. Due to level 5 restrictions which will be in place from Midnight on the 24th of December our public counters will remain closed until further notice. Motor Tax applications can still be made through the post or online at www.motortax.ie. There is also a post box at the front of County Hall where applications can be dropped.
The Payments Office will be available to take payments over the phone on 057 867 4308 once we reopen after the Christmas Break on Wednesday the 30th of December 2020.
Online taxation can be done from the comfort of your home via laptop, tablet, smartphone and operates 7 days a week. Visit www.motortax.ie. There are few easy steps which require:
- Vehicle registration number
- PIN number
- Insurance details (name of company, expiry date & insurance policy number)
- Credit/Debit card details
Your PIN number may be received from Shannon via email, text or reminder motor tax form. If not, try last 6 digits of VRC/log book i.e. C17____123456.
If new/imported vehicle, it is the last 6 digits of your chassis no. (also known as VIN number on VRC/log book).
Please note the online system is specific to the Department of Transport, Shannon – please contact Shannon at Motortax@dttas.gov.ie or 0818 411412 if any issues with payment
Postal applications: Post in completed form (contact number please on form) with payment method (cash not advised) to Laois County Council, Aras An Chontae, Portlaoise, Co. Laois R32 EHP9.
Post box: Drop in fully completed application form with payment method in a sealed envelope (mark for attention of Motor Tax) & drop in post box at main reception.
Any queries, please contact us at 057 8674305. We may not be able to respond to you immediately but please leave your name, contact number and brief message and we will respond to your query as soon as possible
9.30am to 4.00pm Monday to Friday, including lunch time by appointment only.
Telephone: 057 8664039
Landfill and Portlaoise Recycling Centre
8am to 3.30pm Monday to Friday
Saturday: 8am to 1pm
Sundays/Bank/Public Holidays: Closed
Tel: 057 86 20653
Portarlington Recycling Centre
Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday from 8am to 5pm – Last entry is at 4.45pm.
Telephone: 057 86 42845
Library Opening Hours
Check your local branch