If you are looking for a Planning document, Application form or Council Document you will find them in the Publications section.
- Applying for Planning Permission
- Development Contribution Scheme
- Part 8
- Carry out a planning search
- Planning Forms & Documents
- County Development Plan and Local Area Plans
- Review of Laois County Development Plan 2017 -2023
- Laois County Development Plan 2017 – 2023
- Laois County Development Plan 2011-2017
- Joint Spatial Plan for the Greater Carlow Graiguecullen Urban Area 2012-2018 (extended until 4th November 2022)
- Mountmellick Local Area Plan 2012-2018
- Mountmellick Local Area Plan 2018 – 2024
- Portarlington Local Area Plan 2012-2018
- Portarlington Local Area Plan 2018 – 2024
- Portlaoise Local Area Plan 2012-2018
- Portlaoise Local Area Plan 2018 – 2024
- 2040 And Beyond – Portlaoise Town Centre Public Realm Strategy/Vision Statement
- Conservation – Protected Structures
- Planning Licences
- Quarry Register
- Vacant Site Register
- Laois Co Co Submission to the NATIONAL PLANNING FRAMEWORK 31-3-17
- Urban Regeneration and Development Fund URDF
- J17 National Enterprise Park – Masterplan Document 2018 (Togher)
- Screening Determination
- Short Term Letting
- Planning Applications with E.I.S./E.I.A.R./N.I.S.
- Strategic Housing Developments SHD
- Inch Bridge Works ABP-310430-21 Works to Inch Bridge
PUBLIC INFORMATION NOTICE COVID-19 – VISITING RESTRICTIONS
As public offices will remain closed, Laois County Council Planning Department wish to advise that the reopening of the planning system to members of the public will be by appointment only and only one person can attend an allocated time slot at any one time.
The Planning System
The planning system plays a key role in facilitating delivery of infrastructure programmes and in addressing housing supply requirements. Ireland is also one of few European countries that has an independent third party planning appeals system. It is operated by An Bord Pleanala (Planning Appeals Board). The Planning Department of Laois County Council deals with the planning for the entire county.
- The Planning Department is divided into three main sections. These are Forward Planning, Control of Development and Enforcement.The Forward Planning section deals with the production of the planning policy documents for Laois. The main one is the Laois County Development. There is however a number of Local Area Plans produced also. These set down the local policies for an individual town, village or settlement. Copies of all these documents are available at a small fee from the Planning Counter within Laois County Council Offices and also available for free download on this website. Please note however that the development plans and local area plans are always subject to variations by the elected members and therefore it is advisable to check back regularly for updated plans.
- The Control of Development section deals mainly with the processing of planning applications. This process starts with the validation of the application right up to the issuing of the final grant. This would be the busiest and therefore largest section within the Planning Department.
- The Enforcement section of the planning department deals with complaints regarding alleged Unauthorised Developments ( UD’s ). These UD’s can range from developments without any planning permission granted to non-compliance with planning conditions on a granted development. This section has the power to take individuals to court should it deem it necessary to ensure the proper planning and development of an area – if you wish to notify the Enforcement section of any unauthorised development you can download an unauthorised development form from our Planning Documents & Forms section.