Welcome to Planning Services
If you are looking for a Planning document, Application form or Council Document you will find them in the Publications section.
- Applying for Planning Permission
- Development Contribution Scheme
- Part 8
- Carry out a planning search
- Planning Forms & Documents
- Development Plans
- Laois County Development Plan 2011-2017
- Graiguecullen Local Area Plan 2012-2018
- Mountmellick Local Area Plan 2012-2018
- Mountmellick Local Area Plan 2018 – 2024
- Portarlington Local Area Plan 2012-2018
- Portarlington Local Area Plan 2018 – 2024
- Portlaoise Local Area Plan 2012-2018
- Portlaoise Local Area Plan 2018 – 2024
- Laois County Development Plan 2017 – 2023
- Draft Ministerial Direction July 2017
- Ministerial Direction Laois County Development Plan
- Letter to Chief Executive Final Ministerial Direction
- Chief Executive’s Report Prepared Pursuant to a Notice of Intent to Issue a Ministerial Direction
- Appendix A of Chief Executive’s Report pursuant to Ministerial Direction
- Part1 Appendix B of Chief Executive’s Report pursuant to Ministerial Direction
- Part2 Appendix B of Chief Executive’s Report pursuant to Ministerial Direction
- Part3 Appendix B of Chief Executive’s Report pursuant to Ministerial Direction
- Notification of Finalised Ministerial Direction
- Portlaoise Town Centre Public Realm Strategy/Vision Statement
- Proposed Variation to Laois County Development Plan 2011 – 2017
- Conservation – Protected Structures
- Planning Licences
- Quarry Register
- Vacant Site Register
- Laois Co Co Submission to the NATIONAL PLANNING FRAMEWORK 31-3-17
- Variation to Laois County Development Plan 2011-2017
- Urban Regeneration and Development Fund URDF
The Planning System
The planning system plays a key role in facilitating delivery of infrastructure programmes and in addressing housing supply requirements. Ireland is also one of few European countries that has an independent third party planning appeals system. It is operated by An Bord Pleanala (Planning Appeals Board). The Planning Department of Laois County Council deals with the planning for the entire county.
- The Planning Department is divided into three main sections. These are Forward Planning, Control of Development and Enforcement.The Forward Planning section deals with the production of the planning policy documents for Laois. The main one is the Laois County Development. There is however a number of Local Area Plans produced also. These set down the local policies for an individual town, village or settlement. Copies of all these documents are available at a small fee from the Planning Counter within Laois County Council Offices and also available for free download on this website. Please note however that the development plans and local area plans are always subject to variations by the elected members and therefore it is advisable to check back regularly for updated plans.
- The Control of Development section deals mainly with the processing of planning applications. This process starts with the validation of the application right up to the issuing of the final grant. This would be the busiest and therefore largest section within the Planning Department.
- The Enforcement section of the planning department deals with complaints regarding alleged Unauthorised Developments ( UD’s ). These UD’s can range from developments without any planning permission granted to non-compliance with planning conditions on a granted development. This section has the power to take individuals to court should it deem it necessary to ensure the proper planning and development of an area – if you wish to notify the Enforcement section of any unauthorised development you can download an unatuhorised development form from our Planning Documents & Forms section.