Work on preparing the new Heritage and Biodiversity Strategy for Laois has commenced. The draft Strategy is open for public consultation, until 10th November. The final Strategy will be published in December 2021.
Projects underway in 2021 with the support of the Heritage Council include:
- The continuation of “Connecting Communities” programme, this year focusing on Timahoe, primarily management of vegetation and trees at the Timahoe early Christian site, in accordance with the aims of the Timahoe Conservation Plan.
- Heritage Awareness projects for Biodiversity Week, Heritage Week and Science Week – mostly online due to Covid-19 and public health restrictions
- Phase II of book on the Rock of Dunamase, with publisher Wordwell Books
- Publication of Irish language version of Gardening for Biodiversity Book
Projects completed in 2021 with the support of the National Biodiversity Action Plan include:
- Continuing with research and surveys of ecology at Abbeyleix Bog
- Awareness raising for pollinators- radio ads
- Survey of Wetlands in Laois
Other major projects in 2021 include:
- Conservation and Pollination – Just Transition funded project
- Community Monuments Fund Projects –
- Conservation of medieval masonry at Killabban Church
- Conservation of medieval bell tower and graveyard at Old St Peter’s Graveyard Portlaoise
- Completion of Abbeyleix Climate Action Project (supported by Creative Ireland)