PLEASE NOTE THAT STAGE 1 HAS NOW BEEN COMPLETED
In collaboration with the community, Laois County Council started the review of the Laois County Development Plan which began on 6th January 2020 and the process will take 2 years to complete as detailed below. The Laois County Development Plan 2021 – 2027 will set out a vision for County Laois for 2021 and beyond. Stage One of the Plan review process ran from 6th January until 29th June 2020.
PUBLIC CONSULTATION AND ISSUES PAPER – (Please note the public consultation phase has now closed)
An Issues Paper has been prepared and presents an overview of the main development issues currently affecting County Laois and identifies the kind of planning matters that the next Plan could address. A copy of the Issues Paper can be downloaded here. As part of Stage One, a series of public consultation meetings were held at the following venues:
- January 14th: Heritage House, Abbeyleix at 6pm to 8pm
- January 16th: Heritage Centre, Clonaslee at 7pm – 9pm
- January 21st: Community Centre, Killeshin at 6pm – 8pm
- Febuary 24th: Rathdowney Library, Rathdowney at 2.30pm – 3.30pm
- February 25th: Portarlington Library, Portarlington at 2.30pm – 3.30pm
HAVE YOUR SAY…
If you are interested in the planning and development of the County and wish to make a contribution to the shaping of its future, submissions can be made in writing to Forward Planning Team, Planning Department, Laois County Council, Aras an Chontae, Fintan Lawler Avenuve, Portlaoise, Co Laois or send us an email to email@example.com. Submissions may be made during the period from Monday 6th January 2020 until Monday 2nd March 2020 by 4pm.
Please make your submission or observation by one medium only i.e. in hard copy or by email. This will avoid the duplication of submission reference numbers and will streamline the process. All submissions should be clearly marked “Review of County Development Plan”. In respect of making a submission or observation please note the following:
- Submissions should relate to the proper planning and sustainable development of Co. Laois.
- Children or groups or associations representing the interests of children, are entitled to make submissions or observations regarding the objectives and policies to deliver an overall strategy for the proper planning and sustainable development of the area of the CDP.
- The Planning Authority intends to review the zoning of the area of the CDP for the purposes of developing objectives and policies to deliver an overall strategy for the proper planning and sustainable development of the area of the development plan and core strategy. However, requests or proposals for the zoning of particular land for any purpose shall not be considered at this stage. (Any such submissions will be returned).
- If you consider that you have a disability, please give details of any special requirements for public consultation purposes that you may have in order that appropriate arrangements can be made if necessary.
- All submissions must include your name and a contact address, a map (where appropriate) and, where relevant, details of any organisation, community group or company etc, which you represent.
Closing date for submissions was Monday March 2nd 2020, at 4.00 p.m. Late submissions will not be accepted.
62 Submissions were received by the Planning Authority and are published on Laois County Council website here, along with your name/organisation in accordance with the Planning & Development (Amendment) Act 2018.
CHIEF EXECUTIVE’S REPORT AND DIRECTION FROM ELECTED MEMBERS
The Forward Planning team prepared Chief Executive’s Report which summarised all submissions received followed by a response and policy recommendation to the issues raised. The CE Report was considered by Laois County Council Members on Monday 29th of June at the June Council Meeting. The Members issued directions to the executive regarding the preparation of the Draft County Development Plan. The Forward Planning Team have begun preparing a Draft Plan as of 29th June for consideration by our Councillors at the October or November Council Meeting.
Stage 2 Draft County Development Plan has begun with public consultation commencing from 12th January 2021 until 23rd March 2021. Click here to go to Stage 2.