Household Hazardous Waste
Substances or objects that are discarded, intended or required to be discarded and that display some of the following properties: corrosive, explosive, irritant, flammable, toxic etc. may be termed Hazardous Waste. A container that contained such substances is also considered to be Hazardous Waste.
Some common items displaying hazardous properties that may be found in the home/garage are:
- Aerosols – deodorant cans, spray paints etc.
- Batteries – lead acid, nickel-cadmium etc.
- Bleach/Cleaning agents – metal cleaners, drain cleaners, oven cleaners etc.
- Electrical and Electronic Equipment
- Energy-saving light bulbs/Fluorescent tubes/Mercury thermometers
- Ink/printer cartridges/ribbons/toners
- Waste medicines – expired or unwanted etc.
- Engine oil/gear and lubricating oils/anti-freeze
- Paints/paint thinners/varnishes/solvents
- Photographic chemicals
Disposal of Household Hazardous Waste
Hazardous Waste – Regulations
The European Communities (Shipments of Hazardous Waste exclusively within Ireland) Regulations 2011, were introduced to streamline the administration of legislation on the movement or shipment of hazardous waste exclusively within Ireland.
Dublin City Council, National TFS Office is the sole authority for the administration of hazardous waste movements within Ireland. C1 forms (Consignment Notes) have been replaced by the Waste Transfer Form (WTF).
The Waste Transfer Form administration system requires consignors to purchase and fill in forms online. Registration is necessary to use this online system and this can be completed at: https://wrms.dublincity.ie/wrms/frontoffice/.
Should you require clarification, further information or assistance, please contact Dublin City Council at 01 222 4402/4522 or email : email@example.com
Shipments of Hazardous Waste – faqs-wtf-2014
Note: This page is a guide only. It does not purport to provide, and should not be relied upon as, a legal interpretation of the Regulations. Laois County Council advises you to read the Regulations in full.