Heavy/Abnormal Load Permit
A special permit is required for the use of heavy or wide loads on a public road by any vehicle or trailer where laden weight, dimensions etc., exceed allowed limits.
PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT LAOIS COUNTY COUNCIL REQUIRE COMPLETED APPLICATION FORMS 7 DAYS PRIOR TO FIRST DATE OF TRAVEL.
The standard conditions for granting a permit are as follows:
- Vehicles 16.5 M – 20 M long requires long load signs to be displayed at the front and rear of vehicle. Vehicles i n excess of 20 M long requires signs front and rear, and scout car in front with sign to warn oncoming traffic. Vehicles in excess of 30 M also require a car at the rear with sign to warn following traffic.
- Vehicles 2.5 M – 3 M wide requires wide load signs front and rear. Vehicles in excess of 3 M wide require signs front and rear and scout car in front with sign. Vehicles in excess of 4.25 M wide also require at the rear with sign to warn following traffic.
- It is imperative that you give seven working days notice of the details of this permit to the Garda Authorities.
- You shall indemnify the Council against any damage to public roads or bridges caused by the use of the vehicles concerned.
- Should there be an overnight stop in Portlaoise, the vehicle and load shall not be parked in the Council’s car park at James Fintan Lawlor Avenue, Portlaoise.
- Advance warning to other traffic to be provided to the front and rear of the vehicles.
- Lay-bys to be availed of in order to allow traffic to pass, to avoid traffic.
- You must satisfy yourself that the proposed route is capable of accommodating the load of the width envisaged, and that no delays, hold-ups or disruption will be caused to other traffic.
- Please note there are height restrictions on roads in County Laois.
- Proper signs showing the overall length of the load should be displayed.
- Please note that the granting of a Permit does not relieve the applicant of the obligation to assess the suitability and safety for a vehicle carrying a load of abnormal weights and dimensions, and of the driver to drive with extra care and attention when approaching overhead bridges, cables, etc.
Download the form here: Heavy Loads application form
Email applications to email@example.com