SOAPBOX COMPETITION 2023
Soapbox Competition, This years topic is based on a Barack Obama quote ‘There’s no such thing as a vote that doesn’t matter – In today’s turbulent times, it is more important than ever to build a better future by voting in the EU parliamentary elections. Entries for this competition are open to under 16s and 17 and over. Participants, will have three minutes to express their view on the topic and they will have to apply by the 13th November to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Europe Direct Portlaoise
Europe Direct Information Centre at Portlaoise Library isYour Local Link to Europe
What is EUROPE DIRECT?
EUROPE DIRECT is an information service that links YOU, the citizen, to the European Union. We are here to provide information on all aspects of EU activities, how they affect you, how you can benefit from them and how you can have your say on issues of the day.
Our job is to:
- Help you to obtain at a local level, information, advice, assistance and answers to questions about the EU, its institutions, activities and funding opportunities.
- Actively promote local and regional debate about Europe, by organising events and debates.
- Improve the distribution of information about the EU in a way which is adapted to local and regional needs.
- Give you the chance to send feedback to the EU institutions in the form of questions, views and suggestions
What services do we provide?
- Free phone access to the EUROPE DIRECT Contact Centre.
- Free access to European Union related websites.
- Information leaflets on European Union topics.
- Materials targeted specifically at schools, from a brief introduction to the EU for primary school pupils to more academic-based material for second level students.
- School classes and other groups are welcome to visit.
EUROPE DIRECT gives you:
- General information about EU matters in any of the official EU languages.
- An answer to your questions on any European Union policy.
- Practical information on dozens of subjects: for example, how to get your qualifications recognised or how to complain about unsafe products.
- Contact details of relevant organisations you may need to deal with.
- Advice to help you overcome practical problems with exercising your rights in Europe.
- We also hold a number of events throughout the year.
http://www.europedirect.ie >for updates on Europe Direct Portlaoise
Phone: 057 8622333
Useful EU Websites
Information about the EU for Young People
Information about the EU for Teachers