Laois County Council operate the sole landfill site for the County at Kyletalesha. The landfill site operates under Environmental Protection Agency Waste Licence since May 2000. The landfill site accepts waste at a rate of up to a maximum of 47,100 tonnes per year.
Revised opening days and hours for disposal of Domestic Waste at Kyletalesha, Portlaoise
Following internal review and on foot of observations made, Laois County Council will re-open the Landfill/Tipping Area at Kyletalesha, Portlaoise for the disposal of household residual waste only.
Please note the following:
1. Opening Times: Tuesdays and Thursdays 8am to 3.30pm. (from tomorrow Thursday 2nd April 2020); Saturdays 8am to 1pm.
2. Only Household Domestic Residual Solid Waste (Blackbag) will be accepted. No Bulky Waste or Recyclables will be accepted. No e
3. In support of Covid 19 Measures and in the interests of the health, safety and welfare of staff:
• Existing and additional control measures and signage will be in place to ensure guidance on social distancing is maintained
while queuing for, entering and using the facilities.
• Children must remain in vehicles at all times.
• Customers will not be assisted by staff to unload their waste.
• Payment by Key Fobs or Bank Cards only. No receipts will be given.
Civic Amenity Facilities at Kyletaleesha, Portlaoise and Lea Road, Portarlington are CLOSED. The closure of these facilities will be reviewed on April 12th and further advices provided at that time.
Access to Kyletalesha Landfill is by keyfob. Information on acquiring a keyfob and how it works may be obtained from here
Please note the following important information regarding waste disposal at Kyletalesha Landfill:
- Current arrangements for existing and new domestic customers remains the same i.e. access by weighbridge and keyfob.
- Commercial waste is no longer accepted at Kyletalesha Landfill.
- Monday – Friday: 8am to 3.30pm, Saturday: 8am to 1pm
- Sundays/Bank/Public Holidays: Closed
Please Note: keyfobs must be in a credit balance of at least €15.00 to gain entry to the landfill. If a keyfob is misplaced, it will cost €20 to acquire a replacement fob.
New customers please note from the 9th of January 2017 there is a €65 charge for a new fob with a €50 balance.
Phone Number: (057) 8620653
AES staff will issue a receipt covering any additional costs incurred when recycling at Portlaoise Recycling Centre.
Please note important information regarding charges at Kyletalesha Landfill – Updated January 2017:
With effect from the 9th January, 2017, the following revised landfill charges, including levy and VAT, will apply at Kyletalesha Landfill Site:
- All Waste: Minimum Charge of €15 up to 40kg plus €200/tonne for every tonne over the minimum weight.
Recycling Centre entry fee of €4.00
– Gate fee domestic car €4.00
– Paint cans € 2.50 per paint can. Cans only accepted from domestic customers.
– Single mattresses €15.00 per mattress
– Double mattress €20.00 per mattress
– Car tyres Max of two car tyres per entry fee of €4.00
– No bulky waste in the Civic Amenity Centre
Waste Disposal at Public Tipping Area
All refuse bags will have to be placed into compactors by keyfob holder (i.e bins cannot be directly tipped into the compactor). Bulky waste will be accepted at the Recycling Centre as per the charges provided above.
Health & Safety
The health and safety of our customers and staff is of paramount importance to Laois County Council. Customers are advised to pay particular attention to signage and relevant Health & Safety guidelines which are advertised on site.
Trailer covers must be used when visiting the landfill, otherwise entry will be refused. Unsecured waste may cause litter pollution.
Laois County Council Landfill Site Environmental Policy Statement: The Policy of this facility is to protect the environment and to provide information to our customers to help reduce their dependence on landfill.
However, please note that some items that you send to landfill might be suitable for reuse? If so, why not visit www.freetradeireland.ie where you can upload items for reuse free of charge! FreeTrade Ireland is a unique public service allowing you to pass on and pick-up items free of charge. Get involved today and start saving money and protecting your environment.