Laois County Council
Draft Climate Adaptation Strategy 2019-2024
Notice is hereby given that Laois County Council has prepared a draft Local Authority Climate Change Adaptation Strategy in accordance with the provisions of The Climate Action and Low Carbon Development Act 2015 and the National Adaptation Framework (NAF), 2018.
Climate change is recognised as a global challenge with policy responses required in terms of both mitigating the causes of climate change and in adapting to the inevitable consequences of our changing climate. The Climate Change Adaptation Strategy represents a proactive step by Laois County Council in the process of adaptation planning to build resilience and respond effectively to the threats posed by climate change.
Purpose of the Strategy:
The Climate Change Adaptation Strategy takes on the role as the primary instrument at local level to:
- ensure a proper comprehension of the key risks and vulnerabilities of climate change
- bring forward the implementation of climate resilient actions in a planned and proactive manner and,
- ensure that climate adaptation considerations are mainstreamed into all plans and policies and integrated into all operations and functions of Laois County Council.
Climate Action Charter:
Signing of the Climate Action Charter, Mr. John Mulholland, Chief Executive and Mr. William Aird, Cathaoirleach.
Accompanying the draft Climate Change Adaptation Strategy is:
- A Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) Screening Report in accordance with the SEA Directive (DIR 2001/42/EC) and pursuant to European Communities (Environmental Assessment of Certain Plans and Programmes) Regulations 2004 (SI 435 of 2004 as amended by SI 200 of 2011) and,
- An Appropriate Assessment (AA) Screening Report in accordance with the requirements of Article 6(3) of the EU Habitats Directive (Directive 92/43/EEC).
A copy of the draft strategy, SEA and AA screening reports may be viewed here:
Climate adaptation Laois CE Report on submissions Sept 2019
or inspected during the period June 25th to July 26th 2019 at the following location during normal business hours:
Laois County Council, Aras An Chontae, Portlaoise, Co. Laois
The adaptation strategy, SEA screening report and AA screening report may also be viewed on the Government Public Consultations Portal at https://gov.ie/consultations
Making a Submission:
Submissions or observations may be made by 4.00 pm on 31st July 2019 by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing to Donal Brennan, Director of Environmental Services, Laois County Council, Aras An Chontae, Portlaoise, Co. Laois.
Submissions or observations should state your name, address and where relevant the organisation/body etc. represented. Please make your submission by one medium only i.e. post/hard copy or email.
Any written submissions or observations received within the timeframe will be taken into consideration before the making of the strategy. You are invited to make written submissions/ observations in respect of the draft strategy and the accompanying SEA and AA screening reports.
Please note that all submissions may be available for public viewing during the period of making the strategy. Laois County Council will treat all personal data as confidential and will retain data for no longer than is necessary for the purpose of this Climate Change Adaptation Strategy and in accordance with the Council’s Retention Policy and relevant Data Protection legislation.