Grants are available for artists’ residencies in schools, to include all art forms. This scheme gives primary and post primary schools the opportunity to select and work with professional artists and explore new arts media and to include all art forms. This scheme gives primary and post primary schools the opportunity to select and work with professional artists and explore new arts media. Open to national and secondary schools throughout the county the application is made by the school in partnership with the artist and each application is adjudicated on its overall artistic benefits and ideals. Artists in Schools 2019 Application form will be sent out to all schools in the county or download here Application form 2019doc
The Arts Office are delighted with the success of the Artists in Schools Scheme throughout the years and each year the standard and outcomes of the residencies gets better and better with 2018 and 2017 no exception. The scheme benefits both the artist and the students taking part – experimenting, enquiring, designing and creating, inspires confidence and imagination in all.
In 2018 nine Laois schools have been selected by an adjudication panel to take part in a number of creative projects throughout the year and they included:
- Ratheniska N.S. with artist Mary Slevin on a visual arts project.
- Scoil Bhride N.S., Stillbrook, Mountrath with drama tutor Mirjana Rendulic on a drama project.
- Camross N.S., Portlaoise with architect Alan Meredith on an architectural art project titled Bridges of Europe.
- St Fintan’s Boys N.S., Mountrath with drama tutor Mirjana Rendulic on a drama project. Students
- Portlaoise College, Mountrath Road, Portlaoise with Michaela Bertsch on a sculpting and origami project. The students and teacher leaned four origami techniquies which they then used to progress into sculptures for the Junk Kouture projects.
- Scoill Mhuire N.S., Ballyroan Road, Abbeyleix with artist Rachel Dunican on a sensory art
- Newtown N.S., Co Laois with drumming tutor Eddie O’Neil on a drumming music
- Scoil Tighearnach Naofa N.S., Cullohill, Co Laois with artist Annie Holland, with a ceramic awareness of pollinator project.
- Rosenallis N.S. with Aideen Cross with a craft and sewing project.
In 2017 nine schools have been selected by an adjudication panel to take part in a number of creative project during the year and they include:
- Clonaslee College, Clonaslee with visual artist Aisling Brennan on an art therapy project
- St. Joseph’s NS, Borris in Ossory, with artist/architect Alan Meredith on a creative art project
- Elderfield NS, Castletown with visual artist Lynn Kirkham on a creative art project
- Paddock N.S., Mountrath with visual artist Mary Slevin on a creative art project
- St Colmcille N.S., Errill with visual artist Ania Necel Kruppa on a recycle art project
- Kolbe Special School, Portlaoise with visual artist Hilary Kelly on a collage art project
- Scoil Bhride Knockmay, Portlaoise with visual artist Saidhbhin Gibson on a mural art project
- The Swan N.S., The Swan with visual artist Niall Fitzpatrick on a landscape art project
- Scoil Naisiunta Sandy Lane, Portarlington with pottery artist Finbar O’Hara on a pottery art project.
Some of the above projects have already started and all will be completed by the end of December 2017.
In 2016 nine schools were selected by adjudication panel to take part in this scheme where the artists delivers the project directly into the school. Some of the schools have already completed the residencies and a number of glowing reports have been sent in to the office from teachers and students taking part.
Participating schoolsand projects in 2016 include:
- Gaelscoil Phortlaoise – artist Pauline Hyland 1916 mural project
- Shanahoe National School – artist Janet O’Grady “Plastic Paradise” using recycled materials
- Scoil Mhuire Abbeyleix – artist Janet O’Grady Wall Mural using recycled materials
- Portlaoise Educate Together – artist Ania Necel –Kruppa outdoor sculpture project
- Abbeyleix South N.S. – artist Fin O’Hara pottery project using different processes with clay
- Abbans N.S. Maganey – artist Mary Slevin Visual arts project using fairy tales as inspiration
- The Heath N.S. – artist Aishling Hennessy mural project themed on Past to Present to Future
- Wolfhill NS – artist Janet O’Grady puppets using recycled materials
- Cosby NS Stradbally – artist Edyta Szymanska sculpture project using clay and organic materials.