Apply for Licences for Table and Chairs outside a hotel, restaurant, café, public house or other

Section 254 Licences [Schedule 12 Part 1(h)]  for Table and Chairs in public spaces outside a hotel, restaurant, café, public house or other

If you own a café, restaurant, hotel, or bar, you can apply to Laois County Council to put tables and chairs within the Public Realm. This is known as a Section 254 Licence.

Laois County Council will consider the re-assignment of existing public spaces into seating areas to facilitate businesses.  This will require the business to apply to the Council for a Section 254 Licence.

As the Council aims to support businesses during the Covid-19 Pandemic, we want to engage with local traders in order to ensure that such tables and chairs are safely and appropriately located in areas which do not pose a risk to pedestrians/footpath users etc.

In order to help businesses get back up and running, Laois County Council would like to invite applications for a Section 254 licence from those businesses interested in expanding into the public realm.

All applications will be assessed from a public health, fire safety, road safety and public circulation point of view.

Laois County Council will be facilitating the use of the public realm for expanded street furniture provision as a temporary measure up to the end of August as part of Phase 3 of the easing of Covid-19 restrictions starting the 29th of June 2020.


The Section 254 licence fee will be waived up to the end of August 2020 for table and chair street furniture applications as a recovery measure by Laois County Council.

Application Process and Requirements

Applications for a Section 254 licence(Schedule 12 Part 1(h)) in respect of tables and chairs must be accompanied by the following:

  • Applicants must apply to Laois County Council Planning Department in writing (covering letter/email) for a Section 254 licence. The covering letter/email should include: name, address, contact details, together with a scaled drawing/sketch indicating the outdoor area for tables and chairs outlined in red and the proposed hours of operation and the period for which the licence will be needed;


  • Any application submitted must be accompanied by Public & Products Liability insurance (and Employers Liability insurance) with indemnity limit(s) of not less than €6.5million (and €13million) respectively covering any liability, loss, claim or proceedings in respect of loss, claim or proceedings whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the death and/or bodily injury to any persons whomsoever and/or loss or damage to any property whatsoever which arises directly or indirectly out of the granting of the Licence.

Such insurance(s) shall contain a notation of an indemnity to Laois County Council.

  • Applications can be submitted by post/email to: The Planning Department, Laois County Council, Aras an Chontae, JFL Avenue, Portlaoise, Co. Laois R32 EHP9 or by email to:

            Applications received by the Council will be processed as soon as possible.


Read More News Stories