Maintenance and Repairs

The Housing Maintenance Section is responsible for the management and maintenance of the Council’s Housing Estates. We ensure that houses conform to the minimum standards as set out in the Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations, 1993.

To Appeal a Repair Request Refusal, please fill out the Appeals Form and send in to Housing Maintenance Section, Laois County Council, Áras an Chontae, JFL Ave, Portlaoise, Co. Laois.

The following are examples of the types of repairs we will do for you:

Structural repairs including:

  • Roofs
  • Walls
  • Floors
  • Window Frames
  • External Doors
  • Toilet Bowls
  • Baths
  • Sinks, provided that they become defective

The following are examples of repairs that are your responsibility and we will not do these repairs for you:

  • Broken glass, no matter how it is caused
  • Internal Plaster cracks – non-structural
  • Flooring
  • Woodwork – floors/doors/skirting boards*
  • Repairs to kitchen units/wardrobes*
  • Doors locks & handles – internal/external*
  • Window catches/stays/restrictors*
  • Internal decoration
  • Fences and garden boundary walls
  • Front/side gates
  • Clearing gutters
  • Replacement of light bulbs/switches
  • Clearing airlocks in pipes
  • Repair/replace all taps*
  • Repair/replace toilet bowl or cistern*
  • Repair of cooking or heating appliances that you install
  • Any damage caused by you or your visitors
  • Sealing around the bath and shower tray
  • Maintenance of your garden – front & back
  • Chimney Cleaning

*Except where damage is caused by normal wear and tear, these works will be carried out by Laois County Council subject to inspection.

Tenants with Special needs

In the case of old age pensioners and disabled persons living alone, the council have regard to their special needs and may undertake works which would normally be considered the tenant’s responsibility.


Where tenants wish to undertake major repairs or structural alterations at their expense they must first obtain approval for the works. The proposed work must not compromise the future use of the dwelling and the work must be undertaken by a competent contractor. Laois County Council will facilitate tenants to play an active role in the repairs and maintenance service. In addition, Laois County Council may provide reconstruction loans to a tenant where they are satisfied that the proposed works will enhance the value of the dwelling.

Make a repair request

If you need to report a maintenance issue please contact the Housing Maintenance Section at (057) 866 4000 or send an e-mail to


How long do repairs take?


  • These are repairs carried out where there is a possible danger to human life.
  • i.e, smoking fuseboard, faulty sockets, tiles falling off roof


  • These are repairs carried out quickly to avoid damage to the dwelling.
  • i.e, leak under sink unit, no water in hot tap, leaking roof, leaking pipes, heating


  • These are medium priority repairs
  • i.e, replace toilet cistern (cracked due to fair wear and tear), plastering jobs, downpipes and gutters

Who carries out repairs caused by malicious damage?

The tenant is responsible for repairs arising from any wilful or malicious damage to their home, no matter who causes it. if the Council undertakes repairs resulting from such damages, the cost of such repairs will be charged to the tenant(s).

The tenant is also responsible for repairs to doors, windows, fixtures and fittings in the dwelling caused by destruction or damage by burglary, housebreaking, larceny or theft.

What happens if I need repairs carried out but I am behind in my rent?

The position of your rent account will be examined on the receipt of a maintenance request by the Council and the Council will undertake to carry out those repairs, for which it has responsibility, only when you have a clear rent account.

Alterations to your house

You must get the Council’s agreement before starting any improvements, alterations or additions to your home.

We are usually happy to agree to alterations, but we must check them out first.

You may also need planning permission for certain works.

All such construction and erections become the property of the landlord and are not removable by the tenant upon termination of the tenancy nor is there any compensation allowable in respect of them. However, if you decide to purchase your house under a Tenant Purchase Scheme, some allowance will be made for improvements you have made to your home.

In the case of certain unauthorised alterations carried out to the dwelling, the Council may require full re-instatement to the original condition.

What should I do if the repair team calls to my house and I am not there?

When a complaint is made, the telephone number should be left and an appointment will be made by the central repairs section.

Will the Council carry out any repairs I want?

No. A clear division of repair responsibility between the Council and its tenants has been defined.

Is my house insured by the Council?

The Council insures the structure of all rented houses. It does not insure the contents. Should you decide to buy your house or if your house is a “vested cottage”, you then become responsible for both structural and contents insurance.

Am I responsible for the garden or just the dwelling itself?

You are responsible for both, and any laneway or walkway adjoining your house. Laneways should be kept in a clean condition and should not be used for dumping. You are responsible for the maintenance of walls, gardens, gates and fences. This is clearly outlined in your Tenancy Agreement.

In addition, you must make sure that you look after your home and garden in a responsible manner.

Under the Litter Byelaws, each householder is obliged to keep free of litter the footpath or pavement adjoining their property and also any road gutter on or at the side of the pavement.

Refuse should be left for collection in a manner that ensures that it does not become litter.

Read More News Stories