Responsible Dog Ownership

Laois County Council actively encourage and promote responsible dog ownership.

Our new Responsible Dog Ownership Booklet is a free guide on how to become a better dog owner and focuses on the importance of cleaning up dog fouling, dog control, dog licences/tags and identifies what you can do if you are troubled with excessive noise caused by dog barking.

The booklet is available to download here: Responsible Dog Ownership Booklet.  Additional copies are also available at various Vet Surgeries and from the Environment Section (Phone 057 867 4332).

Litter Enforcement Officers will be conducting foot patrols and will highlight that not cleaning up after your dog is subject to an On The Spot Litter Fine of €150.  Signage highlighting this fact has been placed in various locations around the County.



How to Make A Control of Dogs  Complaint

To make a Control of Dogs related complaint you have the following options:

  1. Ring the Dog Warden / dog pound on 057 8734067 or mobile 086 2556298.
  2. Email your complaint to
  3. Make a written complaint on the Control of Dogs Complaints Form and address to:


Administrative Officer

Environment Department

Laois County Council

Aras an Chontae




  1. Ring Environmental Hotline 1800 323 230.  The Hotline is staffed during normal office hours.  Messages left outside office hours will be dealt with during the next working day.


Please see Control of Dogs Complaint form, which will be of assistance to you.


When making a dog-related complaint, please include the following details:

  • Nature of the complaint,
  • Time of the incident,
  • Location of the incident,
  • Return contact details



ISPCA National Animal Helpline No.(All Animal Welfare Issues): 1890 515 515.

Dept. of Agriculture, No. (All Farm Animal Welfare Issues): 1850 211 990


Complaints regarding excessive dog barking.

If you are bothered by persistent barking, talk to the dog owner in question. If this does not work, under the Control of Dogs Act 1986, you can lodge an official complaint with your Local District Court. You will be given a date when your complaint will be heard and a copy of the Section 25 Form. Write the name and address of the noisy dog’s owner, your name, and the date and time when your complaint is to be heard in the District Court on the form. Sign and date it, and give it to the  dog’s owner 7 days before  your complaint is due to be heard. The dog’s owners has this time to resolve the problem.

The form for application to the District Court can be downloaded here: Control of Dogs Act 1986 – Section 25